Main content of the website

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A

Utility Rates

Message From the Rural Municipality of West St. Paul
The municipal wastewater infrastructure project is an important component of the Rural Municipality’s strategy to protect the health of our residents, our water supply, and our environment – both for today’s West St. Paul families and for future generations. This work is key to the current and future growth and prosperity of the community. It is anticipated the new infrastructure will have a positive impact on both local land values and tax base available for neighbourhood investments.

How does the Municipality set my Utility Rates?
The Manitoba Public Utilities Board (PUB) regulates the rates charged for all water and sewer utilities outside Winnipeg.
The Public Utilities Board Order for West St. Paul can be found at
Fees collected by the RM and remitted to the City of Winnipeg:
The usage charge is the charge for your usage, it is $2.80 per cubic meter. A minimum charge of $39.20 will be charged each quarter if your usage is less than 14 cubic meters.
The Participation Fee is $243.31 annually and is billed quarterly at $60.83/quarter. This fee is collected by the RM and remitted to the City of Winnipeg for each resident that is connected to the system for the processing of all sewage flushed to the city treatment plant. This is a required charge as per the agreement between West St. Paul and the City of Winnipeg.
Fees held by the RM of West St Paul:
The Administration Fee is $60 annually and is billed quarterly at $15.00/quarter. This fee is used to offset administration expenses incurred by the RM for the utility. i.e. salaries, office supplies, postage, insurance, etc.
The Reserve Fee is 5% of the usage charge and is collected and held in a reserve account for the utility to cover any future repairs and maintenance and other major costs that may arise relating to the current system.
The Basic Sewer Charge is a daily rate of $0.220/day with a quarterly charge or $19.80/ 90 days. This fee is collected by the RM and is used to offset expenses incurred by the RM such utility maintenance staff salaries, sewer line maintenance, pump house hydro, etc.

Conservation Tips
Click here for information on Manitoba Hydro's Power Smart Water & Energy Saver Program and to order your FREE Water and Energy Saver Kits.

Reduce: Reducing your water use is as simple as turning off the tap while brushing your teeth and operating dishwashers/ washing machines with full loads.
Repair: Fix leaks as soon as you find them. Leaky taps and toilets can cost you money.
Retrofit: Install faucet aerators, replace an old showerhead with a low flow model, or replace an old toilet with an ultra-low flush model. Water used in the bathroom can be reduced by up to 50%.

• DO regularly inspect your home for leaks
• DON’T leave the tap running when brushing your teeth
• DO install a low flow showerhead
• DON’T turn on the tap full blast when washing your hands
• DO take short showers or shallow baths
• DON’T run the dishwasher until it is full

What do I do if I get a high wastewater bill?
Your bill reflects household consumption. However, it is recommended that you check your inside plumbing for any potential leaks (i.e. running toilets or dripping taps.)

Who is responsible for maintaining the meter?
The Rural Municipality is responsible for future maintenance provided you take reasonable precautions to prevent damage. As with a hydro meter, it is illegal to tamper with the water meter. If service is required, Rural Municipality staff may be required to enter the home to conduct inspections.

How do I know the meter reading is accurate?
The water meters are factory tested and exceed the standards for accuracy set by the American Water Works Association.

Who do I contact in the case of an emergency?

For all sewer related emergencies, please contact 204-338-0306.