2022 West St. Paul Mini Soccer Season
Important Information for all Mini Soccer Players:
For the 2022 Mini Soccer Season teams are co-ed with a mixture of boys & girls on each team. For the U5 Age Group all West St. Paul Mini Soccer Teams will play against each other. For the U6 and U7/U8 Age Groups there were not enough West St. Paul Teams to make a schedule, so WSP will be playing against the East St. Paul Mini Soccer Teams of the same age group.
Mini Soccer is a FUN League for children to start learning the basics of soccer, meet new friends and have fun!
The children enrolled in Mini Soccer are in the Active Start Stage – which gives them the opportunity to develop basic movement skills like running, jumping, landing, kicking, throwing, and catching in a fun setting built around informal play and positive reinforcement.
Thank-you to all the parents that volunteered to COACH Mini Soccer! Coaches are VOLUNTEERS, please respect ALL coaches, parents and children. Without volunteer coaches, this program would not be running.
1. When does the Mini Soccer Season run?
The 2022 Mini Soccer Season will begin the week of May 16
2. What do the players need to wear / bring?
- cleats / runners & socks
- shin guards
- shorts or pants, depending on the weather conditions
- water bottle
- No jewelry please! Earrings can be taped for games
- A Soccer Ball and Jersey will be provided for the season! Players can keep the Soccer Ball but Jersey will have to be returned at the end of the season
3. Days & Times of Games
U5 (2017/2018)- Tuesday & Thursday - 6pm
U6 (2016) - Monday & Wednesday - 6pm
U7/U8 (2015/2014) - Tuesday & Thursday - 7:15pm
Parents/Guardians, please ensure that someone will be staying on-site with your child during the duration of Mini Soccer (1hr). You are encouraged to participate with your child during the training session of the program!
4. Weather Conditions
Games are played come rain, snow, or shine. Only extreme weather (lightening) or hazardous field conditions (soaked fields) will cause cancellations. Lightning must be present, not forecast. Sometimes, games get played in both wet and cold weather. Splash pants (over shorts) and a light jacket (under jerseys) are allowed in these conditions.
Due to the number of different allergies, having a team snack is not a requirement of Mini Soccer. Please do not feel obligated to bring or arrange team snacks.
If your child has allergies or medication that you would like the coaches to be aware of please outline this info to them.
6. Can players still sign up for 2022 Mini Soccer?
Unfortunately, no – registrations for Mini Soccer was held in March
Teams are now formed so no additional registrations will be taken at this time
🚨WYSA LEAGUE UPDATE - MAY 19🚨
Please be advised that due to the heavy rainfall yesterday, coupled with the large amount of incoming rain, all WYSA matches for Thursday, May 19th, 2022 have been CANCELLED!
Game cancellations due to weather:
U7/U8 Games scheduled on WSP #1 & #2 Fields will be played in West St. Paul at the Sunova Centre - West St. Paul's Recreation Site - 48 Holland Road
Without volunteers to coach, the program will not be able to operate
If you, or someone you know, are willing to COACH a WSP Mini Soccer Team please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Coaches can be mom, dad, grandpa, grandma, big brother, big sister, auntie, uncle or cousin!
- Picking up WSP Mini Soccer Equipment from the Sunova Centre, bringing it to each game and returning it at the end of the season
- Introducing yourself to your team, communicating game schedules and being present at each game
- Running a few warm-up exercises with kids (e.g. a lap around the field, stretching, jumping jacks, arm circles, etc.).
- Running soccer drills and skills before games (e.g. dribbling a ball around cones, practicing shooting on net, etc.).
- Help ensure players get equal playing time (substitute lines approximately every 3 minutes).
- Make sure players stay on the field when they are playing and on the sidelines when they are not playing.
- Help teach good sportsmanship. Encourage players to cheer on their teammates and congratulate the other team for a game well played!
All coaches must complete the following:
All coaches are required to have completed appropriate Canada Soccer Grassroots Coaching Course for the age group you plan to Coach
- Active Start – U4-U6
- FUNdamentals – U6-U9
- LEARN TO TRAIN – U9-U12
- SOCCER FOR LIFE – U13 +
The theoretical portion of the Coaching Courses are completed ONLINE through Canada Soccer – click HERE to sign up
The on-field practical portion of the Coaches Courses are completed through Manitoba Soccer Association on the following days:
- Active Start and FUNdamentals: Saturday, May 14th from 9AM-12PM at Shaughnessy Park Field (709 Keewatin Street)
- Learn to Train and Soccer for Life: Sunday, May 15th from 12-4PM at WSF South Indoor Complex (211 Chancellor Matheson Road)
- Learn to Train and Soccer for Life: Saturday, June 18th from 12-4PM at WSF South Indoor Complex (211 Chancellor Matheson Road)
Please note that in order to be fully completed with your specific grassroots course and to be compliant with the coaching requirements of Manitoba Soccer and Canada Soccer, you must complete both the online theoretical and on-field practical portion of the course.
Registration links can be found here: (First come, first serve – there is a capacity limit per course). If you are needing to complete two courses that are running on the same day (ie. Learn to Train and Soccer for Life) please register for the course that is appropriate for the current age group you are coaching.
- Active Start (May 14):https://thelocker.coach.ca/event/registration/7130
- Fundamentals (May 14):https://thelocker.coach.ca/event/registration/7131
- Learn to Train (May 15): https://thelocker.coach.ca/event/registration/7132
- Soccer for Life (May 15): https://thelocker.coach.ca/event/registration/7133
- Learn to Train (June 18): https://thelocker.coach.ca/event/registration/7134
- Soccer for Life (June 18): https://thelocker.coach.ca/event/registration/7135
ALL RECEIPTS are to be submitted to email@example.com for reimbursements
Canada Soccer Pathway Coach’s Tool Kit:
MSA’s Technical Department provides weekly practice plans for Active Start, FUNdamentals, and Learn to Train Coaches
FCNW Training Drills: