Main content of the website

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A

Property Taxes

Current taxes are payable, at par, on or before the last working day in September by 4:30pm.
Tax receipts will only be issued upon request or if a balance is outstanding on the account.
Office Hours are 9:00am to 4:30pm.
Penalty of 1.25% will be added on October 1 and on the first day of each month thereafter, until paid or the time of tax sale. Lands in arrears for more than one year will be subject to tax sale. Arrears that are shown on your tax bill are subject to further penalties e.g. Arrears paid in October must include penalties at 1.25%. 
The effective date for payments made to the RM of West St. Paul will be the actual day of receipt by the RM of West St. Paul. To avoid late fees, mail in a postdated cheque and allow ample time for the payment to reach the Municipal Office or allow 4 to 5 business days for online payments to be processed by your financial institution and the RM of West St. Paul’s financial institution.
For your convenience, there is a dropbox located at the entrance of the Municipal Office for those who are unable to attend during office hours.

Current taxes are payable, at par, on or before the last working day in September by 4:30pm.
Penalties of 1.25% will be added on the first day of every month that you are in arrears.
What is TIPPS? 
The Tax Installment Payment Plan Service is a plan which allows property owners to pay their property tax bill through direct deposit from their financial institution. TIPPS is a monthly tax installment payment plan by which taxpayers can make twelve consecutive monthly payments for taxes rather than a single annual payment. To take advantage of TIPPS you have to have a chequing account at a credit union, bank or trust company. This program allows us to withdraw monthly deductions from your financial institution to pay for your property taxes.
How does TIPPS Work?
A monthly payment is calculated by dividing your most recent tax statement by the number of installment payment (maximum 12, minimum 3) rounded up to the nearest dollar. TIPPS will begin October 1 of each year and continue each consecutive month until the account is paid in full on the tax due date at the end of September. All outstanding amounts must be cleared before you participate in the TIPPS program and prior year arrears are not eligible under the TIPPS program. Application forms may be obtained from the Municipal Office.
  • The property owner’s name and address which appears on the enclosed bill is in accordance with the latest information which has been made available to the municipality. If, however, any ownership change has since occurred, please forward the enclosed bill to the current owner or return it immediately to the municipal office with an explanation. Failure to receive a bill does not excuse an owner from responsibility for payment of taxes nor relieve that owner from liability for any late payment penalty.
How do I apply for TIPPS?
Brochures and application forms are available at the Municipal Office, or below.
Manitoba’s property assessment services are now digitally available! Property owners outside the City of Winnipeg can access their assessment notice by creating an account on the MyPropertyMB digital portal.

Through the portal, property owners have access to enhanced details of their property assessment, such as buildings assessed on their property, characteristics including building age, size, and features that impact the assessed value.
Any tax payments that are paid prior to receipt of the tax bill will be credited towards the tax account.
Yes we accept post dated cheques.
The RM of West St. Paul has the following methods for paying property taxes:
  1. AT THE MUNICIPAL OFFICE – 3550 Main Street, West St. Paul, MB
  2. BY MAIL - RM of West St. Paul, 3550 Main Street, West St. Paul, MB R4A 5A3
  3. ONLINE - Set up a payment option for property taxes with your financial institution or TelPay, using your Roll number as your account number.
  4. TAX INSTALLMENT PAYMENT PROGRAM SERVICE (TIPPS) - This option allows ratepayers to have automatic monthly withdrawals from their bank accounts. For more information on enrollment please click below.
  5. INSTALLMENT PAYMENTS - Payments can be made either by coming into the Municipal Office, by mailing in postdated cheques or through online banking and payments will be credited to the tax account.
Cash, cheque or Interac are accepted. Please make cheques payable to RM of West St. Paul and be sure to write the Roll number on the cheque or present the tax statement when making your payment to ensure that payment is applied to the correct property.

Please note that many debit cards have daily limits on them so verify with your financial institution before coming to the Municipal Office to make your payment.  Credit cards are not accepted.
Click here to see our online payment policy for information on how we will process your payments made through your bank.

NOTE: Please ensure you allow ample time for your online payment to reach the RM of West St. Paul’s financial institution. A good guideline to follow is 5 business days for processing by your financial institution and the RM of West St Paul’s financial institution.
Each financial institution has two separate accounts for TAXES and UTILITIES.  A customer can set up bill payments through the following institutions:


CIBC – West St. Paul (Rural Mun) Tax

Scotia Bank – RM of West St Paul Taxes

RBC – R.M. of West St-Paul-Taxes

BMO – West St Paul Municipality

TD Canada Trust – West St. Paul (RM OF) Taxes

Telpay – West St Paul (RM) Taxes

Please allow 4-5 business days for this payment to be processed by both your financial institution and ours.
Payment was likely received after the due date. Payment must be received by 4:30pm on the last business day in September to prevent late payment charges.  Residents who choose to make online payments must allow sufficient time for the payment to be processed by their financial institution - generally, this is 4-5 business days.  See our Online Payments Policy here.
If there were arrears owing on the tax statement, then the tax amount due would change each month because of the monthly penalty charge.
Tax statements are usually mailed out in June of each year.  Please notify the Municipal Office if you have not received a tax statement bill as you are still responsible for paying your taxes.
The RM of West St. Paul does not have the authority to collect confidential information about a person to verify identity over the phone. It is recommended that you attend the Municipal Office in person, with proper photo identification in order to obtain information required regarding your property taxes.

For additional information regarding property taxes in the RM of West St. Paul please call 204-338-0306.
Taxes are calculated by multiplying the mill rate and your portioned assessment see the formula below:
Your Portioned assessment / 1000 x mill rate = tax amount
Arrears can be as a result of previous tax bill(s) that were not paid in full. Arrears can also result from unpaid utility (water and/or sewer) invoices and/or outstanding account receivables owed to the RM of West St. Paul for the prior year that have been added to the tax roll.
The tax year is the calendar year and covers the period from January 1 to December 31.
Tax Statements are mailed out early-summer each year.
The cost for a tax certificate is $40.
It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that the Municipality has the correct mailing address.  Please contact the Municipal Office at 204-338-0306, as you must still make your payment(s) on or before the due date to avoid penalty. Failure to receive a bill does not excuse an owner from responsibility for payment of taxes nor relieve that owner from liability for any late penalty payment.
It is important that the Municipal Office be advised promptly of any change of ownership or mailing address in order to ensure that the tax statement is properly forwarded to the correct address.
If the property is in the process of changing owners, the person named on the tax statement is responsible for paying the property tax.
If ownership changed after the tax statement was issued, please forward the tax statement to the current owner or return it immediately to the RM office. 
Property Assessment can be appealed. Taxes cannot be appealed. If you feel your assessment is unfair, please discuss it with the Provincial Assessment Branch located at 103 - 235 Eaton Avenue, Selkirk, Manitoba or phone 1-866-262-9786 or 204-785-5092.
The taxes must still be paid on or before the due date to avoid penalties.

If your assessment is reduced as a result of an appeal, any over payment of taxes will be refunded.
You can appeal the assessed value of your property through the Board of Revision held every fall. If you feel your assessment is unfair, please discuss it with the Provincial Assessment Branch located at 103 - 235 Eaton Avenue, Selkirk, Manitoba or phone 204-785-5092 or 1-866-262-9786.
School taxes are part of the annual property tax bill that are mailed out each year to property owners. The school taxes that are billed and collected by the Municipality are remitted to the Province and school divisions to pay for education.

If you have any questions about school taxes, please call the Seven Oaks School Division at 204-586-8061 or the Interlake School Division at 204-467-8485.
Education Property Tax Credit
Whether you own or rent your home, you could be eligible to save up to $525 with the Manitoba government’s Education Property Tax Credit (EPTC). The credit is provided by the province of Manitoba to help cover the school taxes you pay, or a portion of your rent either directly on your municipal property tax statement or through your income tax return.  The EPTC application form is available at the Municipal Office and must be completed and returned to the Municipal Office by December 31 of the current year.
Click here to learn more.
Seniors Property Tax Credit
The Seniors Property Tax Credit is able to be claimed when you file for income taxes with the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA). Tax forms are made available by the CRA each year and will include a section with instructions for claiming the Rebate. Click here for additional information.
Farmland School Tax Rebate
The Farmland School Tax Rebate (FSTR) was implemented to support the rural economy by providing Manitoba farmland owners with school tax relief.
Landowners are required to submit an annual application to Manitoba Agricultural Services Corporation (MASC). Once you are registered with MASC and receive a rebate, a pre-printed application form for the following year will be mailed to you when they become available.  Click here to learn more.