Current taxes are payable, at par, on or before the last working day in September, 4:30 pm.
Office Hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
PENALTIES of 1.25% one and one-quarter percent will be added on October 1st and on the first day of each month thereafter, until paid or the time of tax sale. Lands in arrears for more than one year will be subject to tax sale. Arrears that are shown on your tax bill are subject to further penalties e.g. Arrears paid in October must include penalties at 1.25%.
Commonly Asked Questions:
When are the tax statements mailed?
Tax Statements are mailed out only once during the year and are mailed in mid July.
If a person does not receive a tax statement for the year, what should they do?
The person should contact the RM of West St. Paul Municipal office at (204) 338-0306, as you must still make your payment(s) on or before the due date to avoid penalty.
What period does the tax statement cover?
The tax year is the calendar year and covers the period from January 1st to December 31st.
How does a resident homeowner apply for the EPTCA (Education Property Tax Credit Advance)?
Relevant information and forms are available at Manitoba Finance home page: http://www.gov.mb.ca/finance/tao/eptc.html
I believe my tax bill is high, what should I do?
ASSESSMENT CAN BE APPEALED. Taxes cannot be appealed. If you feel your assessment is unfair, please discuss it with the Provincial Assessment Branch located at 103 - 235 Eaton Avenue, Selkirk, Manitoba or phone (204) 785-5092.
The taxes must still be paid on or before the due date to avoid penalties.
If your assessment is reduced as a result of an appeal, any overpayment of taxes will be refunded.
What if there are arrears on my tax statement?
Arrears can be as a result of previous tax bill(s) that were not paid in full. Arrears can also result from unpaid utility (water and/or sewer) invoices and/or outstanding account receivables owed to the RM of West St. Paul for the prior year that have been added to the tax roll.
What information with regard to my taxes can I obtain over the phone?
The RM of West St. Paul does not have the authority to collect confidential information about a person to verify identity over the phone. Therefore, due to Privacy Legislation, it is recommended that you attend the Municipal Office in person, with proper photo identification in order to obtain information required regarding your property taxes.
For additional information regarding property taxes in the RM of West St. Paul please call (204) 338-0306.
Other Information to Note:
- You may pay in person or by electronic banking through arrangements you have made with your financial institution. To avoid late payment penalty charges, please ensure arrangements are made so that your payment is received by the due date. PLEASE ALLOW 4-5 WORKING DAYS FOR THIS PAYMENT TO BE PROCESSED. PAYMENT MUST BE IN THE MUNICIPAL ACCOUNT ON OR BEFORE TAX DEADLINE IN ORDER TO BE PROCESSED OR LATE PAYMENT CHARGES WILL APPLY.
- Note: If you currently are, or become, an online payment customer, remember to change your account number (roll number) with your financial institution should you sell or move from your existing property. The roll number is your account number and is required for this process.
- Post-dated cheques will be accepted.
- Receipts will no longer be forwarded by mail.
- Your cancelled cheque will be your receipt.
- Pre-payments will be accepted.
- The Municipality is now offering Interac services.
- The R.M. of West St. Paul also offers TIPPS
- (Tax Installment Payment Plan Service) for the payment of your property taxes.
-A monthly payment is calculated by dividing your most recent tax statement by the number of installment payment (maximum 12, minimum 6) rounded up to the nearest dollar. TIPPS will begin October 1 of each year and continue each consecutive month until the account is paid in full on the tax due date at the end of September. All outstanding amounts must be cleared before you participate in the TIPPS program and prior year arrears are not eligible under the TIPPS program. Application forms may be obtained from the Municipal Office.
- The property owner’s name and address which appears on the enclosed bill is in accordance with the latest information which has been made available to the municipality. If, however, any ownership change has since occurred, please forward the enclosed bill to the current owner or return it immediately to the municipal office with an explanation. Failure to receive a bill does not excuse an owner from responsibility for payment of taxes nor relieve that owner from liability for any late payment penalty.
- All tax sales are final at public auction. There will be no redemption period once the TAX SALE, by public auction, has taken place. All properties with previous arrears, of any amount, are eligible to be sold at Tax Sale.
Please note that the R.M. of West St. Paul has no control over the school tax portion of your property tax bill. It is important that ratepayers are aware of the fact that school taxes are entirely the responsibility of the Province of Manitoba and School Boards.
The municipality is required, by Provincial Statute, to collect them. More information can be obtained by contacting the Seven Oaks School Division at 586-8061 or the Interlake School Division at 467-8485.
Now you can pay online
Regardless of where you bank in Canada with TelPay
at NO ADDITIONAL COST to you.
There are no monthly fees and no administration expenses, making this a cost effective solution over credit card and cheque payments. You save even more money with no postage, no envelopes, no cheque forms, reduced bank charges and a simpler bank reconciliation process.
Who is TelPay?
Since 1985, TelPay has been a leader and innovator in electronic payment services. Today, TelPay Incorporated is the largest independent processor of bill payments in Canada and processes over 22 million electronic payments worth 14 billion dollars annually. Here’s how it works Setting up an account with TelPay is simple and free.
In order to make your first payment, you’ll need to create a TelPay account. Simply click on the TelPay button below. Select either Personal Payments or Business Payments, according to whether your bank account is a personal or business account. In order to make your first payment, you’ll need to create a Telpay account. Setting up an account only takes a couple of steps and is free
Complete Payments Application Form –Click here: https://secure1.telpay.ca/cgi-bin/telpay
- Get Verified – To verify your account, Telpay will:
- Email you a Telpay Access Number within the next business day.
- Make a small deposit into your bank account to be used as your temporary PIN (up to 3 business days).
- Need to receive a copy of the following documents*: a void cheque and a recent utility bill (e.g. hydro, water, phone, cell).
- * Telpay accepts smartphone or scanned images of your void cheque and utility bill.
- Call you at the number you provided to confirm your information once the above documents are received. Please ensure that your daytime contact number is a land-line. If you do not have home land-line please provide a daytime work number.
- Please allow 3-5 business days for us to review your account. When your application is approved you will receive an email with instructions on activating your account.
Please note that transactions may be subject to a daily limit or may be held for 3 to 4 business days to ensure that the money clears your bank account. Please plan accordingly
- Activate Your Account - Login to Telpay with your Access Number and enter the small deposit amount (initial PIN) to activate your Telpay account. This one-time step activates your Telpay account. At that time you will also be asked to create your own private PIN. Please remember to keep your PIN confidential at all times. Once you have completed your account set up, all future payments can be made by logging into www.telpay.ca with your Access Number and PIN.
For assistance, contact Telpay at 1.800.665.0302 (Monday to Friday, 7 AM to 5:30 PM CST) or email email@example.com